Marc Pinto's Primitive Tattoo Blog

| home |     | galleries |     | travel |     | shop |     | staff |     | links |     | blog |     | guest book |    


Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Great Iban Leader - Penghulu Legan

While browsing through Downunder tattoo art issue #37, I came across this image. This amazing man is Penghulu Legan, the main man in charge of various longhouse chiefs in Skrang River , Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. The Iban in this river also participated in head hunting raids in WW2. Almost all the older men had the full body Iban tattoos, rarely seen in Borneo now. Iban tattoos is one of the most common of tribal tattoos in the last 2 decades, commonly known as "bunga terong" the eggplant flower design rosettes are seen tattooed all around the world on both front of shoulders. It is through him, Penghulu Legan, that I had been given authority to use traditional Iban hand tapping tattoo method known as "Pantang Iban" and Iban traditional designs in '97. He is one of my earlier mentors and through him I officially started my traditional hand tattooing career before using machines. My roots will always be in traditional tattooing art. More images can be seen in the travel tab of www.primitivetattoo.com 

  

Penghulu Legan ,you will always be in my mind and with deepest respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment